Cake Spade: The Daily Cake Store

This shop conveniently located near Tanjong Pagar MRT (and my office) has been supplying my cake cravings over the months. I witnessed how the business grew over time, with crowds even during non-peak hours.

The Strawberry Tofu Cheesecake $5.90 is the signature item as they have come up with 2 other flavours (peach/mango). Though it was not as tangy as I would like, the cheese layer was refreshingly light and the digestive crust base did not succumb to moisture. It's like a Jello cheesecake and no tofu used in case you are thinking that this is a healthier option.
Nutella Crumble $3.80 was not as crumbly as it sounds but had a decent biscuit base. I reheated it in the microwave as recommended but surprisingly it did not melt under heat. Better share this with others as it was very sweet, without the need for any ice cream.
I tend to shy away from stacked cream cakes as far as possible but I'm glad I tried the Hummingbird cake $5.90. A complicated cake layer made with pineapple, coconut, banana, sandwiched with decent amount of cream cheese.  It was SO GOOD--very moist with a unique sticky texture (probably due to mashed bananas). Never mind that it leaked oil at the base of the box.
 
The Spiced Carrot Cake $5.90 (photo deleted by accident) must be the most orangey carrot cake I’ve seen. Despite the name, the cinnamon spice was not overpowering. Texture wise, this is similar to the Hummingbird cake. But flavour-wise, the birdie cake wins.   
 
Blackout cake $5.90 (photo deleted by accident)—Well, many places in Singapore serve this but the version here is not going to bomb you with layers of sponge and ganache. As I learnt from the baker-owner lady, oreo cookies have been crushed and mixed into the cake. One cannot taste any crunch but rich, fudgy US-style chocolate pudding (not tau hway ar!). So skip the Four/Six/Eight-Layer Blackout Cake and try this one here.       

Instead of going for a red velvet slice, I opted for their cupcake version $3.80. Consumed at room temperature, it was moist and with hints of cocoa instead of the buttermilk tang. Finally, this is one of the best places in Singapore for red velvet cakes.
 
The concept of cakes here may be conventional home-bakes. But it works really well. I can’t pick an ace card from the pile, because there are two winners—the hummingbird and the red velvet.    
 
Cake Spade
1 Tras Link, #01-06
Orchid Hotel, S'pore 078867
Mon - Thu: 12pm - 9pm
Fri - Sat: 12pm-10:30pm
Tel: +65 6444 3868
 
Add me on facebookinstagram or twitter  for the latest updates---->

Comments

  1. how do you know no tofu is used in the tofu cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orh haha...at first I also thought got tofu. Then months later which is recently, I saw the Burpple newsletter that mentioned that no tofu is used. Tofu refers to the texture only

      Delete

Post a Comment