Hin Fried Hor Fun

I thought the shop was closed for that day when the shutters were halfway pulled down at around 4.30pm on a Sunday afternoon. But luckily the auntie selling Ghim Moh Chwee Kway told us that they are taking a break and opening at 5pm. What a relief!

Though I was the 2nd one in queue ( another guy was the 1st) at 5pm sharp,  I was glad that I arrived early.One reason was because a long queue had snaked up secretly behind me. Second, I could see the uncle preparing everything from scratch.

No, he did not cook horfun right from the start. First, he whips up one batch of beef, leaving them in a thermal pot to keep warm. Then he ladles pre-boiled shrimps onto a large plate.


Then it was live hor fun cooking show over an extremely heated wok. When he lifts up the entire wok to transfer the hor fun into the plate, some bits of the wok base that had contacted the fire was still bright red. Meanwhile, the fish slices are boiling in hot water in another wok on the right.

Just like a car factory, the various parts are assembled together by the son (I think). Sauce from the slow cooker pot is ladled in at the last stage. 

So this is Beef & Sliced Fish Hor Fun ($5), with bits of scorched-brown hor fun that clumped together. The meat is tender and not over-cooked. However, I thought the wok-hei aroma would be stronger but it was not. The gravy is not heavy handed on seasonings but some may find that this plate leans on the milder side compared to those in HDB zi char.

Every successful man lies a women. Here, I think it is his son. This place also sells mui fan in various combinations of beef, seafood, prawn or sliced fish.

Teck Hin Fried Hor Fun
Ghim Moh Hawker Centre
Blk 20 #01-44 Ghim Moh Road
10am-3pm  5pm-8.30pm
Close on Monday
Hor Fun and Mui Fan $4.50/$5

Other good eats at Ghim Moh, read Vietnamese: Authentic Vietnamese

Connect with me on facebook for latest updates and exclusive photos! :)

Comments